Welcome Friends

I hope you enjoy reading these stories and thoughts. Ryan and I have recently moved to San Marcos as members of a church plant team, to reach out to the campus of Texas State University. We love spending time with family and friends, and we are enjoying the adventure this life is taking us on. We have a lot of fun ideas and enjoy our life together. These are the gems we'd like to share with you.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Things That Make Me Smile

Even though this world has a lot of ugly stuff in it, mostly as a result of the fall, there still remains even more beauty. I love the way that everyone is unique and that beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. The same things that I find pleasure in may seem dull or ho hum to you, and perhaps vise versa. I like that because, to me, it makes those wonderful things that much more valuable and personal. I am not only defined by the things that I think, say, and do, but by the things that I take joy in. These details are part of my individuality, and your details are part of your individuality. There's probably no one else who likes the same combinations of things that you like, much less have the same opinions as you have, or look like how you look. If there was such a person, it is probably your twin, which is the subject of a completely different topic, so let's move on.

These are some things that make me smile:
Seeing people I love. Getting to talk with them, no matter how small or grand the conversation is. Seeing that person smile. I take great delight in the joy and happiness of my darlings.
Seeing someone I love cry. Unless it's because of my own stupid self. I am touched when a friend would feel safe enough to cry and and want to talk with me. It is humbling.
Hugs and kisses from little kids. They love so purely and sweetly.
When the sky is sunny, but it is raining.
Seeing the bay on the way to work, when it is deep blue, and flat as glass. Very calming.
Text messages. Not text conversations. But little notes that say hi, i like you, and so forth. Or even just to say you'll be a few minutes late. Now that's classy.
Sharing something in common with a friend, like a show or a joke, or a hobby.
(I do realize that the above statement is a bit of a paradox in this list, as they are supposed to be things that I feel are key in my own personality. But it is the enjoyment of sharing that I want to focus on here.)
Knowing that a few people will read this.
Knowing that at least one person will reply with a comment of some sort.
Watching Ryan sleep. And hearing him talk in his sleep.
Eating food.
The moment I get into bed. It is the Best part of the day!
Tyoing without looking at the screen. In fact i'm doing it right now, and i won't even go back and edit it so ha!
Watching the sun when it is heavy and golden.
Hearing Kara tell stories.
Trying to retell them, and messing them up, then saying that she tells them better.
Experiencing something new, unless it is scary.
Days like yesterday. I wish every day was like yesterday's weather.
Puppies! And most baby animals.
About a half a beer will make me smile too.
Pretty pictures, well made music, well made films. Decent art in general.
Crossing off items on my To Do list.
Stalking and swatting a fly.
Completing a task, and feeling satisfied with myself. I enjoy that feeling, and I enjoy that about myself.
Irony.
Clever puns.
Stupid jokes.
Swapping life stories with new and old friends.
When people remember things that I like. You have no idea how much that makes me smile.
When people get me, and I don't have to explain myself, or end up feeling like a jerk face.
Baby pictures.
Saying I love you to people.
Daydreaming about the future with a friend.
Doing stuff, and then relaxing.

I'm sure a lot of these things may be similar for you. I am betting that at least one of these things, even just one, is not something you'd be able to claim as your own. Hence, this list is particular to me. Anyways, I just thought I'd share these things. They make me smile.

1 comment:

  1. Watching my Ryan sleep does not make me smile. It makes me upset that he beat me to bed. Also, when he talks in his sleep it does not make me smile...bc he woke me up!! I like how you typed this w/o looking up...go back and read that sentence...there's some "irony" for you! I'll have to make a list of things and put them on my page one day...but, I've got two (ok, three)...their names are Jonas, Micah...and Ryan!

    ReplyDelete