Welcome Friends

I hope you enjoy reading these stories and thoughts. Ryan and I have recently moved to San Marcos as members of a church plant team, to reach out to the campus of Texas State University. We love spending time with family and friends, and we are enjoying the adventure this life is taking us on. We have a lot of fun ideas and enjoy our life together. These are the gems we'd like to share with you.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Toca la Guitarra

I received a phone call at 10pm a few nights ago. It was the front desk of the hotel we are staying at for the summer. She said someone had called in a noise complaint and wanted me to be quiet. Ryan was working out of town, so I had been playing my guitar for a few hours (as if no one was listening), and didn't realize what time it was.

When I was about 10, my dad wanted to teach me how to play the guitar. Well, probably I wanted him to teach me because I often saw him playing his guitar, and wanted to know how to make music too. My hands were too small and soft to learn guitar at that age, so I started learning how to play the violin. I played in the school orchestra until age 14.

Then at 16, something came over me, and I started learning the guitar again. A friend taught me 3 chords, my dad taught me 3 more, and I was off. The music and rhythm came easy because of those years playing violin. But the skill... took about 4 years to develop.

I started out with my dad's first guitar. His mom got it for him when he was 15, I think. An old, simple Epiphone. After struggling on that for a few years, I asked for a new guitar of my own, and got a nice cut-away Seagull for my 19th birthday. It took a long time to get used to the wide neck and super high action (it's hard to push the strings down), but it was worth it. It is warm, loud, and bassy, and still the guitar I play. I've taken it to Mexico, Orlando, all over Texas, and probably other places. But, almost a decade old, he is starting to show his age.

this is a fancier/new version of what i have: http://www.seagullguitars.com/productartistmosaiccw.htm

I've wanted a Taylor for years now. But they are so expensive, I don't know if it will ever happen. Every now and then, I look at prices online, or go to Guitar Center to pick one up. I recently went over to Guitar Center to see if I could find one in my range - cost-wise and skill-wise. But there was another guy in there (the humidor room) who was playing away pretty well, so I got nervous and just looked around.

this is the kind of Taylor that i'd like: http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/Acoustic-Electric/700/710ce/ or the 510ce.

I was hoping he'd leave, but no. In fact, other guys came in and were trying out their skills on the display guitars. After 30 minutes of this, I had to leave. I wanted to enjoy my dream of playing a Taylor in peace, not in company. I'm more free to be loud and silly or anything I want when no one else is around, like that night in my hotel room. I suppose for now, I'll stick to my own faithful Seagull and play as I want, up until 7pm from now on.

1 comment:

  1. you know, you can take that in to any good guitar shop and have them work on the neck to get the action down to a more comfortable hight, it's a pretty standard job.

    ReplyDelete