Welcome Friends

I hope you enjoy reading these stories and thoughts. Ryan and I have recently moved to San Marcos as members of a church plant team, to reach out to the campus of Texas State University. We love spending time with family and friends, and we are enjoying the adventure this life is taking us on. We have a lot of fun ideas and enjoy our life together. These are the gems we'd like to share with you.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Bill's no-spin Zone

Ryan: Reanna, why is the economy so baaaaad!?

Reanna: Some bad people took a lot of money from a lot of good people. And the law is not doing what it should do by taking the money back from the bad people and giving it back to the good people. That's what's going on. The end.


The TV is playing Bill O'Reily right now. He calls it the "No Spin Zone", but in fact, he makes my head spin as much as he spins the issues. An expert arguer, and passionate self-defender, Bill is always on the attack and ready to offend. Well Mr. O'Reily, I AM OFFENDED, sir!

I don't like the way he belittles others who feel just as strongly about their own ideals as he feel about his own. I don't like how he cuts people off in interviews, keeping them from making their points. He is a disrespectful man, and an extreme ego-maniac. On his show tonight, he slandered the liberal press for championing leftish ideology, instead of covering the stories as they are.

I would love to see, just once, an entire show where O'-O'-O'-O'Reily* resists the habit of creating uber-conservative-liberal-smearing spins on stories and just presents the news with thoughtful commentary. He might take a lesson from the quiet Anderson Cooper, and actually allow his guests to finish a sentence. Or even just a complete thought.

But for him to emulate Coop in any way would never happen, mostly because Bill is anti-non-gay-haters. Altogether, I would rather endure a grueling episode with Oh, No Mr. Bill!* than watch the Situation Room, hosted by the man with every 8 year-old-boy's dream name: Wolf Blitzer. Perhaps it provides an excuse for missing a daily workout. Or maybe it is self-punishment for over indulging at dinner.

There are a lot of people who Absolutely Love The Factor. Ryan thinks he's entertaining, in a kind-of-a-jerk way. Ryan also thinks I'm also secretly a liberal, because of how I express my opinions on issues. Gosh. If not wanting to identify myself with an angry, over-glorified, news man... then call me Wolf. I must admit, Fox News is a bit more stimulating/less mind numbing than HLN and CNN, and sometimes, O'Reily can even be funny. I will say I like Hannity and Bair.

And I still like Sarah Palin.


*an O'Reilyesque method of making fun of somebody by messing with their names. how do you like that, bill.

1 comment:

  1. i whole-heartedly agree. the whole talk-louder-than-your-opponent tactic has annoyed me to no end ever since i started hearing it as a kid whenever my dad would listen to talk radio.

    ReplyDelete