Welcome Friends

I hope you enjoy reading these stories and thoughts. Ryan and I have recently moved to San Marcos as members of a church plant team, to reach out to the campus of Texas State University. We love spending time with family and friends, and we are enjoying the adventure this life is taking us on. We have a lot of fun ideas and enjoy our life together. These are the gems we'd like to share with you.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Austin Experience

We've been here in Austin since June 1, and will leave August 13. Altogether, our time here has felt like it's gone by quickly but some days and weeks seem to drag on and on while they are being endured. Ten weeks doesn't sound all that long, but when you say "a whole summer" it seems a bit more substantial.

I like it here. I like the hills, and I like green-ness. I like all the places to eat, and I like all the places where you can do entertaining things. At first, I liked our 10x10 hotel room, but not so much anymore. I'll be ready to get back to the house. 990 square feet may not sound like a big house to you, but after living in a hotel room for 10 weeks, it sounds like a mansion to me.

As long as we are here, I've told Ryan I want the full Austin Experience. I know one summer isn't enough to cover it all, but I feel like we've/I've enjoyed most of the highlights of all this town has to offer. So far,

-we've jogged around Town Lake
-we've been to Barton Springs (but didn't swim)
-we've gone to the Texas History Museum
-we've seen a movie and ate at the Alamo Draft House
-we've seen a band play on 6th street (and saw Leslie selling flowers out there, too)
-we've watched the bats fly out from under the Congress Bridge at dusk
-we've cruised South Congress and the Drag
-we've eaten at the Pizza Garden and at a handful of other local flavors
-we've enjoyed $4 coffee from an $11,000 machine at JP's Java
-we've ridden bikes on the Green-belt
-we've eaten well at Kirby Lane Cafe
-we've hung out at a park
-we've read a few issues of the Onion
-I've hung out at the Spider House cafe
-I've enjoyed Amy's Ice Cream
-I've given a street guy some water

3 years (and two days) ago, on July 26 2006, Ryan proposed to me in Austin. We went to lake Travis that day and went scuba diving, then ate lunch at the Oasis, went to the Capitol building, ate dinner, then saw some live music, and drove home to College Station that night. I feel like I've gotten most of the Austin Experience to date. There are still some other things I'd like to do before leaving. Such as...

- kayaking on Town Lake
- go the the art museums
- spot Owen Wilson and/or Sandra Bullock
- eat a Thundercloud sub
- get a tattoo? (not really)
- anything else fun and cheap

I must say that I wasn't looking forward to living here at first. I miss my friends in Corpus, and I miss our little house, too. But now that it's almost over, I am really appreciating my time here. I will miss being so close to other little towns too, like New Braunfels and San Marcos. I will miss the random thunderstorms that knock out the dish TV. I will miss the breathtaking sunsets. I will miss hanging out with Krista. I will miss free wifi being everywhere. I will miss the earthy culture. I will miss the live music. I will miss the parks. And, maybe, there's a small chance I will even miss this hotel room.

Maybe I won't get the FULL experience of all there is to enjoy in Austin. But I am very pleased with the fullness of memories we've made during our short residence here.

No comments:

Post a Comment