Welcome Friends

I hope you enjoy reading these stories and thoughts. Ryan and I have recently moved to San Marcos as members of a church plant team, to reach out to the campus of Texas State University. We love spending time with family and friends, and we are enjoying the adventure this life is taking us on. We have a lot of fun ideas and enjoy our life together. These are the gems we'd like to share with you.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

the august Challenge

I hate running.

But I know that if I'm going to get into better shape, it is the one thing that will get me there. The exercise that I do enjoy includes weight training (on machines; free-weights + reanna = dangerous), group sports, and most recently zumba. Other factors involved in getting into better shape include healthier eating, and getting proper rest.

I'm doing ok on getting enough rest. I drink plenty of water. I take my vitamins and supplements, though I'd like to get onto a good multi-vitamin (of the pre-natal sort). So with the beginning of a new month, I am giving myself a month-long challenge.

My fitness goals:
- no dining out
- stay on the meal plan
- do some kind of exercise every day

An explaination of the goals:
- No Dining Out. The purposes of this goal are twofold. One) to save money on unnecessary spending when we have plenty of good food at home. Two) to resist indulging in fried, fatty, or overly processed food.
- Stay on the Meal Plan. The meal plan includes vegetables, fruit, light dairy, and lean meats. Goal #1 is key because the savings will most likely be transfered into spending on goal #2.
- Exercise Every Day. Our apartment has a fitness center with weight machines and cardio machines. I also have access to some dance workout videos through Netflix. Now I want to make good use of these resources.

Ryan is in on this, too. He found a great deal on beef filet at a meat market. We also have chicken breasts and fish filets. The fridge is full of vegetables and fruit. There are some non-meal plan foods in the pantry that I'll allow myself to snack on until they run out, but I will not buy any more.

I will try to chronicle my progess during this challenge. There will be a few blips throughout the month, I'm sure. This weekend will definitely be one, since it is Ryan's graduation weekend! There is a church retreat we're going to in a few weeks, too. But everyone knows that calories at a church function don't count, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment