Welcome Friends

I hope you enjoy reading these stories and thoughts. Ryan and I have recently moved to San Marcos as members of a church plant team, to reach out to the campus of Texas State University. We love spending time with family and friends, and we are enjoying the adventure this life is taking us on. We have a lot of fun ideas and enjoy our life together. These are the gems we'd like to share with you.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

In College Station

Ryan got a phone call last Friday afternoon. He shot me a glace and I knew that he was being asked to go out of town all week for work. When he got off the phone, and was about to speak, I said "I'm going to College Station." Then he said, "Well, that's where they're sending me to work!" I thought it was pretty great.

It turns out that we were able to spend a little bit of time together while he was here, which was dinner and time with friends on Monday night. But then last night, they had to leave to go work in Huntsville for the rest of the week. I'll see him again on Friday when they pass back through on the way to Austin.

His job is kind of crazy. They usually get to the office by 6:45am, then work at least till 4:30pm. A normal day is 9 or more hours. BUT when people are sent out of town, they work 11 or more hour days. For this trip, they left Austin at 5pm on Sunday, and got straight to work in College Station, until 5am. Then they slept from 6 to 11am, and worked again till 5pm. All together, he got something like 20 hours in for Monday. They were doing stuff like painting lines on the road (with help from local police to keep them safe from drivers), clearing paths in 5 acres of brush, and surveying all of those 5 acres. Those extensive hours are not normal, but that type of work is. He should end up with about 60 hours by the end of this week.

It really helps us that he gets paid overtime. We are saving up to get my car worked on, and to pay off his school fees for this summer. I know we are so blessed that he got this internship, and hope it will be offered to him as a job next May. Now, all we need is for me to get a decent job, and we'll be doing well. As it is, we are making it, but if we were both employed well, things would be quite easier.

Please pray for me. My dream job is to be an academic advisor, and I've applied for a position at A&M-CC. Pray for favor, and that no one else will apply for it (just kidding, kind of). Being unemployed has been a challenge. It was fun at first, now it's down right frustrating. I've sent several applications and resumes, had a handful of interviews, but haven't been taken. All I can do is keep trying and trusting the Lord knows what he's doing.

But this week, I appreciate being able to visit old friends for a full week, on a whim.

No comments:

Post a Comment