Welcome Friends

I hope you enjoy reading these stories and thoughts. Ryan and I have recently moved to San Marcos as members of a church plant team, to reach out to the campus of Texas State University. We love spending time with family and friends, and we are enjoying the adventure this life is taking us on. We have a lot of fun ideas and enjoy our life together. These are the gems we'd like to share with you.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

I like Food

If you haven't noticed, I talk about food a lot on this page. I have used the term "foodie" about some other friends who's opinion of food I usually admire. My old roommates Kara and Krista, for example, are foodies. I think I just realized that one of the reasons we all got along pretty well is that, perhaps we all are foodies.

I suppose there are several hallmarks that cause one to stand out in my mind as a fellow appreciator of food. One of the strongest characteristics is a desire to try new things. Throughout my years, I've had many roommates and friends with ethnic backgrounds different from my own. I owe a great deal of thanks to these people for cooking and sharing their favorite dishes with me, and for taking me to various restaraunts I otherwise wouldn't have tried. So, I am aware that not all food from every culture is esspecially great, but at least every culture has some great food, all of which I am happy to experience.

Among the subtlties that constitutes great/good food are presentation and ease of reproduction. For example, I'd say that the Tuscan potatoes from Olive Garden are both quite tastey (when done properly), look appealing, and are easy to make at home for much less than going to a restaraunt. Making a perfect Thai stir fry is more difficult for me, mostly because I don't have all the special pans and skills like they have at the restaraunts. And when I do try to make it at home, its usually tastey, but ugly. Alas, if I want excellent Thai food, I must go to Madame Mam's.

Ryan usually likes most foods. But his "like" of food is different from mine. He likes to eat food. And if it tastes really good, he'll ask for more. I eat food when I'm hungry, too. But my "like" of food is in the task of tasting. I've been known to over-eat if it is just so yummy and there is more in front of me.

One hiccup I run into, however, is the harsh reality of not being able to afford the nicer things all the time. That's the trouble with enjoying great food: it can be expensive. But do not be mistaken and think that I am a food snob. By no means. I will rarely turn any food away, unless I have already tried it and know it is not what I like. The excitement of tasting new things along with old favorites is in the risk of being either dissappointed or extremely pleased.

I guess what it boils down to is this: you can trust a foodie when they say there's going to be good food.

1 comment:

  1. You should get a crock pot for your hotel room. You can do cakes and all kinds of "casserole" type things in it. And you get to smell things cooking all day!

    Oh, and your list of things to write about looks interesting. I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete